When I say that the protests are in our face here, I mean literally. The Japanese embassy is right across the street from Beijing International Christian Fellowship. Because I had music rehearsal there yesterday and church today, I saw it up close and personal. I saw the crowds grow to where no buses, taxis, cars, etc were allowed to drive down the whole major street. The hotel/church parking lot has become a media, police, and security central zone. If you do not head in that direction, you may not know the extent that it is occuring because they are definitly not covering it in the Chinese media. But, I did upload an article about it from CNN. You can read it for yourself to get an understanding.
Here are my observations...as I have never been in an area of protests before, being from a small town in the midwest.
- Walking down a street of protesting has an eerie feeling.
- Mainly the actual protestors seem to be college aged people
- Lots of Chinese people are there observing, not neccessarily protesting
- Japanese people here in Beijing have been advised not to be out alone
- Many Japanese restaurants have closed for the time being
- I really wish I could read Chinese writing so that I would know what the signs say on the Japanese restaurants and in the hands of protestors.
- When your kids are walking with you, you have to explain what is going on, whether you are ready for that conversation or not.
- God calls us to love ALL people the way that Christ loved us.
- We have safety and hope in God
No comments:
Post a Comment