Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Rainbow is a Promise

I noticed the most wonderful thing the other morning.  I hadn't really thought about the fact that I probably won't see many rainbows here in Beijing.  Not that is doesn't rain much, because it does rain about the same amount that I am used to.  But, after a rain it is usually pretty smoggy still.  Except this week which I will talk about later.  :)

Anyway, I hadn't really thought about rainbows until I witnessed one the other morning, but in a whole new way.  A way only brought about in Beijing, a unique and special way that God demonstrated His promise and hope to me that morning.

Grace and I were riding in the van when to my right I began seeing several motor bicyclists wearing various colors of rain ponchos.  It started out with yellow and green, then another rider with blue, orange, red, and even purple.  Then, I saw it amongst the ponchos, all there together:  A rider with a rainbow umbrella.  It was beautiful.  What are the chances that all the colors of the rainbow plus a rainbow umbrella were all stopped there at the same street corner at that moment.  Of course, my photos will not do it justice because I was frantically searching for the camera in the car.  

I have been reading this wonderful book about giving thanks and how thankfulness leads to joy and hope.  Then more joy leads to looking for more things to be thankful for.  I have to laugh because God wanted me to SEE that, and what if I hadn't?  I would have missed out on something so beautiful.


 


The skies have been gorgeous this week actually after this day.  The weather has seemed to turn to cooler temperatures and less smog.  This morning I actually woke up to an orange sunrise!!  I woke Jeff up just so he could see it.  It was so comforting and reminded me of home.  I think we take sunrises, sunsets, and even white clouds against a blue sky for granted in America.  Please, take note of them and thank God for His amazing art.

No comments:

Post a Comment