Tuesday, May 21, 2013

First Time to Bake Cookies

I have a couple of friends who wanted to learn how to bake cookies.  One just acquired a counter top oven and they both are really enjoying the cookies that my ayi, Holly, and I make.  So, I had Diana and my friend Tracy (those are their English names) over one night to bake together.  It was so interesting, because I've never had to think about what IS shortening, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, etc.  Chinese people do not cook by following a recipe card or cookbook either, so we talked about how when you bake, you have to use EXACT measurements for them to turn out correct.




They were very proud of the final product



Most desserts that we would make in the U.S. are too sweet for Chinese people.  The desserts that they sell here are less sweet most generally.  Our Chinese friends like our cookies, but most of the time they are good with having just one.  My plan is to get the ingredients cheaper in the U.S. and give them to these girls so that they can make their own.  You can't find shortening, baking powder, vanilla in the Chinese markets, I get them from home and bring them back, or I pay a lot of money for them at the western markets here.  Most Chinese would not be able to afford that.  So, it will be my gift.

Next lesson:  Other types of cookies or maybe banana bread!





No comments:

Post a Comment