Sunday, September 8, 2013

Seaside

Last weekend we went with some Chinese friends to the seaside.  About 3 1/2 hours away from Beijing to a city called Beihe.  We rented a cabin overnight and stayed there with another family.  They have a daughter who is almost 1 year old.

I wasn't very good about taking my camera/phone down to the beach, so no beach pictures.  But here are some pictures of our seafood experience.

First, you go to the seafood market and buy your live food.

Lady measuring our shellfish

Scott (Kun) and Miao Han

"I can't look!!"

Measuring octopus for us
"What are these mommy?" Jack says.   "Snails, I think."  I respond.


Jack says, "I dare you to touch it Grace"

 Then you take it to the restaurant of choice and they cook them for you.  
Scott, his wife Yi Nan, and Miao Han
Finished products

Served by my first shirtless waiter, not too appetizing if I do say so.

Boiled prawns- This was actually Grace's favorite; Mommy had to de-shell so many, ouch!!



We also had crab and octopus cooked with vegetables but I guess I didn't get pictures of those
When the meal was over, here was the breakdown:
Grace- full and happy
Jack- hungry and grumpy
Jeff- full and happy
Will- Oblivious because all he had was rice
Me- not full, not really hungry anymore, and a little grumpy, sorry to say
I told Jeff that I like seafood, but I guess not quite like this.  
I like my fish grilled or lightly breaded,
 my shrimp on a nice bed of Italian noodles in a creamy alfredo sauce, 
my shellfish with a nice butter sauce,
 my octopus as...well...not octopus but rather fried calamari!  
Ha!
I guess I'm a little more high maintenance.






1 comment:

  1. this is hilarious! just saw on jeff's fb page that you guys are back in mo... would love to hang out sometime, max and i are in columbia until june! :) shoot me an email! katie@katiebarnes.com

    ReplyDelete