Sunday, September 4, 2011

You never forget how to ride a bike!

There is a lot of freedom in riding a bike.  There is a lot of freedom in being able to get where you want to go, when you want, without having to rely on anybody else.  Although I am glad to have a van and a person who will help get me anywhere I want I just have to call him, I wanted to be able to ride a few blocks distance.  I could pick up a few groceries in a shorter amount of time, Grace and I could ride down to the park, I could ride to the coffee shop, etc. 

I told Jeff that I wanted a bike (I actually knew I would want one before we left the U.S.) but he told me that it is very dangerous (which it is) and he wouldn't be comfortable with it (which he's not).  Well, after talking with lots of people who have had bicycles, then motorbikes, then their own cars, I finally convinced him that it would be fine to ride a few blocks distance. 

I had been told that bike theft is pretty routine here, so it is best to get a dingy old bike that no one will want.  We have a friend who has had three motorbikes stolen within the past 6 months.  So sad.  Well....Jeff and I felt that our apartment building has pretty good security, we have a great lock, and we thought it would be nice to get a few speeds so that we can do some SERIOUS biking.  We'll see about that.  So, we were driving around and saw a bike shop that sold Giant brand bikes for a lot cheaper than in the U.S.


This is the bike I chose

Jeff and Grace checking out the bikes
Hauling it back to the apartment 
Jeff has gotten the itch for one now too, so I bet we will be back at the bike shop soon. 

My bike is great, it has a basket, bell, and a seat for Grace on the back.  When we get a decent picture of the two of us on it, I will post it.  Jeff made me go out and practice riding without Grace because I was unable to ride in a straight line.  :)  I did really need some practice.  You never forget how to ride a bike, you just may not be good at it anymore.  Now Grace and I have been on several outings and she loves it.  She always wants me to go faster! 

Who knows, maybe someday we ourselves will have a motorbike.  Never say never! 


No comments:

Post a Comment