Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pipa and Yu

Pipa=Chinese instrument
The Pipa is a beautiful traditional Chinese instrument, similar to a violin and guitar.  A Chinese friend that Jeff and I have met at Starbucks is trading me English lessons for Pipa lessons.  She speaks a little English and is so sweet to us every time when come into Starbucks.  I am hoping to get to know her even better, which is really my main goal over being good at the Pipa.  I really don't have time to practice.  I took a video of my friend playing for us.  She is very good and it is so beautiful!



Yu=Fish
One more video for you today....and this one is quite humorous.  Last week, Jeff and the kids had the opportunity to go to the Sanyanli Market with me, normally I shop there while they are at work and school.  This is the market I have shown pictures of previously.  Jeff loved going and seeing all of the sights.  We decided to buy some tilapia.  I have bought salmon before, but not tilapia yet.  We translated the word into Chinese and the fish guy showed us some freshly caught fish.  We picked one out and I kind of made the cutting motions like I wanted him to fillet it for us.  He seemed to know what I was saying, and the friends that I normally go with ask him to do this all the time, so I thought we were good to go.  He told us he would get it ready and to come back in a few minutes.  So we continued shopping.
We came back by his stand, he handed us the "black bag", we paid for the two fish and started to leave.  As we were walking, Jeff said, "Oh my goodness, I thought someone had knocked into this bag, but when I looked down, the bag was moving!!!".  It totally freaked him out.  Apparently, the fish were still whole and either still alive or having muscle spasms!!
We got the fish home by way of taxi and I made Jeff open the bag.  Sure enough, there they were, whole fish, gutted and descaled (as required to prepare them Chinese style), but not filleted, still moving their mouths and fins.  Enjoy the video (maybe this is not for the squeamish)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment