Thursday, May 3, 2012

One man's trash is another man's treasure

When you throw away trash in Beijing you can be assured that someone will be going through the trash to recycle.  When we first arrived, I was very concerned that our apartment complex did not recycle, and it did not appear to be very important to anyone.  I just kept thinking of the millions of water bottles being thrown away every day because you cannot drink water from the faucet.  But then someone quickly told me that lots of people collect recyclables and transport them to recycling places in which they earn pay.  For many, this is their income. 

A couple of weeks ago, we saw a man collecting cardboard outside of our apartment building later in the evening.  I could not believe that he was able to tie it all down and then transport it for miles ON A BIKE.  I wondered, how far will he take it and how much money will he get in return? 


Here is another picture of someone else transporting other people's trash into his treasure.

One more reason to count my blessings and be thankful.  What a hard working people.  Thank you God for helping me to SEE this.

No comments:

Post a Comment